Saina Nehwal is an Indian professional badminton player. She is former world no. 1. She has represented India three times in the Olympics. She is the first Indian female to have won an Olympic medal in a badminton event.
Saina Nehwal was born on 17 March 1990 to Harvir Singh Nehwal and Usha Rani Nehwal in Hisar, Haryana. Her father worked at Chaudhary Charan Singh Haryana Agricultural University while her mother was a state level badminton player in Haryana. She attended various schools in Haryana to complete her pre-university education. These are Campus School CCS HAU, Hisar, Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan Public School, Hyderabad, NIRD School Rajendranager, Hyderabad and St. Ann’s College for Women, Hyderabad.
Saina Nehwal took up the sport at the age of eight after her family moved from Haryana to Hyderabad. She started playing badminton to socialize with other kids as she was not familiar with the local language. Additionally, she wanted to further her mother’s dream of becoming a national level badminton player. In 2006, she became the under-19 national champion and created history by winning the Asian Satellite Badminton tournament twice. At the age of 16, she became the first Indian woman and youngest player from Asia to win the Phillippines Open, a 4-star tournament.
After entering into the International Badminton circuit, Saina Nehwal participated in various international championships such as the 2006 BWF World Junior Championships, the 2006 Doha Asian Games, and the 2007 BWF World Championships. In 2008, she won the World Junior Badminton Championships, becoming the first Indian to achieve this feat. The same year, she won the Chinese Taipei Open and was named ‘The Most Promising Player’ by the BWF.
Saina Nehwal has won over 24 international titles, including 11 Super Series titles. In 2016, she was conferred the coveted Padma Bhushan by the GOI. She was also conferred with Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna and the Arjuna Award by the Government of India.
Saina Nehwal is married to badminton player Parupalli Kashyap. The couple tied the knot in an intimate ceremony on 14 December 2018. On 29 January 2020, Nehwal joined the BJP in Delhi in the presence of the Party’s National General Secretary, Arun Singh. She draws her inspiration from Prime Minister Modi. Her sister, Abu Chandranshu, also joined the party.
Saina Nehwal Wiki Bio :
|Date of Birth / Age :||17 March 1990 / 31 Years (as in 2021)|
|Nick Name :||Saina|
|Full Name :||Saina Nehwal|
|Birthplace / Home Town :||Hisar, Haryana, India|
|Zodiac Sign / Sun Sign :||Pisces|
|Height :|| 165 Cm
|Weight :||65 Kg|
|Eye Color :||Black|
|Hair Color :||Black|
|Father :||Harvir Singh Nehwal|
|Mother :||Usha Nehwal|
|Sister(s) :||Abu Chandranshu Nehwal (Elder)|
|Marital Status :||Married (Place of Marriage – Hyderabad)|
|Spouse / Husband :||Parupalli Kashyap (Date of Marriage -14 December 2018)|
|Affairs :||Parupalli Kashyap|
|Qualification :||12th Standard|
|College / Universities :||St. Ann’s College for Women, Hyderabad|
|Profession :||Badminton Player, Politician|
|Debut :||Asian Badminton Satellite tournament (2005)|
|Political Party :||Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)|
|Coach :||Pullela Gopichand|
|Net Worth / Income :||N/a|
|Email / Contact :||N/A|
|Address :||Hyderabad, India|
|Favorite Food :||Aloo Paratha, Kiwi|
|Favorite Actor :||Shah Rukh Khan, Mahesh Babu|
|Favorite Actress||Sachin Tendulkar, Roger Federer|
|Favorite Singer / Musician :||Narendra Modi|
|Favorite Destination :||Singapore|
|Car / Bike Collection :||BMW|
Awards and Medals :
|2007||Gold Medal at National Games in Guwahati|
|2011||Won the Swiss Open tournament in Basel|
Some Known Facts About Saina Nehwal : 
- Does Saina Nehwal smoke? : Not known
- Does Saina Nehwal drink alcohol? : Not Known
- Her grandmother was not happy at her birth, as she wanted a boy.
- Saina’s dad, Harvir Singh, was a district badminton champion in Haryana and so was her mom. Saina Nehwal used to accompany her mom to the local club in Haryana itself.
- Saina Nehwal was training in Karate until 1998 when her father was transferred to Hyderabad.
- She has a brown belt in Karate.
- Her mother often calls her Steffi Saina, as she has been a huge fan of tennis star Steffi Graff.
- Her parents have also been state level badminton champions for Haryana.
- On the advice of badminton coach Nani Prasad Rao, she started playing badminton at the age of 8.
- She did her badminton training from the Pullela Gopichand Badminton Academy.
- She used to start her training at 4 am in the morning and travelled a distance of almost 25 km to make it to a proper training facility.
- In 2005, she got selected to play in the U-19 national team and became the U-19 national champion in 2006.
- She is the first player to win the Asian Satellite Badminton tournament twice, first Indian woman and youngest Asian player to win a 4-star Philippines Open tournament, and first Indian to win the World Junior Badminton Championships.
- In 2012, Sachin Tendulkar gave her BMW as a gift, after she won the gold medal in the Olympics.
- In the same year, Saina Nehwal released her autobiography ‘Playing to Win: My Life On and Off Court.’
- In October 2016, she was appointed as a member of the IOC Athletes Commission.
- Saina was also bestowed with the Padma Bhushan award in 2016 which is the country’s third-highest civilian award.
- She faced injuries in the year 2016 and 2017, due to which she didn’t play in several tournaments.
- She has endorsed numerous famous brands like Vaseline, Fortune Cooking Oil, Emami, Godrej No Marks, Edelweiss Group, Huawei Honor Smartphone, Star Sports, NECC, Indian Overseas Bank, Top Ramen Noodles, Herbalife Nutrition, Yonex, Iodex, Sahara Group, etc.
- On 29 January 2020, Saina joined the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
- Her greatest achievement is the bronze medal that she won at the 2012 London Olympics.
Disclaimer : We Strive for accuracy and fairness. If you see something that doesn’t look right, please Contact Here, Comment below, Join Us on Twitter Facebook Koo Instagram Telegram and Youtube or Mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org